Hello, it’s me, Panda Steve, and recently I’ve been messing around with Lunchi. In particular, I’ve made her a healer now, because Mistweaver is very fun, and also because I can.
Here she is throwing out those hadokens or whatever.
Now, I’m a fairly novice healer, but I’ve been noticing some key areas where DPS and tanks can improve their play, because who better to give you advice on staying alive than the person keeping you alive?
I’m not just saying this to make my life easier. Honest.
- In Halls of Valor, there’s lots of enemies that make lightning. You might want to NOT STAND IN THE LIGHTNING. Whether they’re tornadoes, or dragon breaths, or those lines of Crackle, just go away from them please.
- Similarly, when fighting Fenryr, he may leap at you. Try not to be near other people or he puts the bleed on all of you and that’s just really annoying.
- SPEAKING OF FENRYR! Please run away when he’s fixating on you, don’t just let him rip your face off.
- SPEAKING OF (the trash before) FENRYR! Please don’t pick up ALL the wolves. They love to leap around and smack
merandom people, and they really can’t take too many of those before it’s unhealable.
- Hide behind that BIG GLOWY SHIELD whenever Skovald does Ragnarok. I mean, you DO know what Ragnarok means, right?
- Pull Hyrja to one side. Mein gott.
- Don’t kill both the adds when facing Parjesh. You need to hide behind one of them so they get speared!
- DON’T HIDE BEHIND ME WHEN HE’S THROWING SPEARS AT YOU.
- Pop. The bloody. Bubble. On Deepbeard.
- Ordinarily I’d moan about tanks running off way ahead, but shit I’m a monk, I’ve got movement for days.
- Please use your mitigation. I assume it’s on your bars?
- I’m questing as Windwalker, primarily because I kill things marginally quicker. When we enter a dungeon and I say “just changing spec, gimme a sec!” (I have that shit macroed), give me a sec. I need to drink for mana. If you’re skipping off merrily to engage enemies without your healer present, I hope you’ve got a Druid healthpool.
I’m not a good healer, but I’m getting better. Healing’s just a side project for me, something fun to pass the time, but boy oh boy does it ever do that.
And you know what that means.
TIME TO RUN THE EVENT DUNGEON HUNDREDS OF TIMES TO GET THE MOUNT THAT NEVER DROPS.
Thanks to the fancy new dungeon scaling tech, you no longer need to be at/near max level to queue for this event dungeon. So long as you’re level 16 or higher, you can set yourself up for disappointment many times a day!
REJOICE as you tentatively log onto characters and classes you haven’t used since Warlords, or even Pandaria! BE CONFUSED as you figure out what the hell you press to make your druid actually do something. GRIMACE as you accidentally queue as healer when you’re in a DPS spec.
But more important than this mount? Yes, that’s right. It’s time for me to complain that the BEST-looking non-eyepatch headgear is still not classed as a cosmetic item, or even eligible for transmogrification.
FIX IT, BLIZZARD.
Well fancy that, Xavius gets his own wing of LFR all to himself. Good for him.
Horny tentacle goat.
- 3 phase fight. You have a Corruption bar that adds mechanics to the fight the more full it is. At 33%, avoid giant circles on the ground. At 66%, avoid small ones too. At 100% you deal 150% more damage/healing for 20 seconds, then you become mind controlled.
- When Xavius hits 95% health, Ysera puts half the raid to sleep. At 60%, the other half sleep. When asleep, you are affected with Dream Simulacrum. When this debuff is removed (either after 3 minutes, on death, or when mind controlled) your Corruption is reduced to 0 and you awaken from the dream to continue the fight as normal, with all your cooldowns reset.
- There is a tank swap mechanic. At three stacks of Darkening Soul or Blackening Soul, you need to tankswap and move out of the raid. Healers then dispel you.
- Phase one: Two players will be affected by Nightmare Blades which run in a straight line between them. Move yourselves so that it doesn’t hit anyone else. Kill the huge Corruption Horror add asap. If fixated by a Lurking Terror, run away from it if not dreaming. If you ARE dreaming, make sure you touch it before anyone else.
- Phase two: Stack for Corruption Meteor so the damage and Corruption gain is split. A number of Inconceivable Horrors spawn at the side of the room. Kill them before they reach Xavius, and dreaming people soak the pools they leave.
- Phase 3, Nightmare Blades and Corruption Meteor are still a thing. Tentacles spawn when he casts Writhing Deep; frankly you can ignore these and just focus on Xavius. Hero/lust here to end this as fast as possible.
HERE BE SPOILERS PROBABLY
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, MOTHERFUCKER
Okay so we’ve had Legion in our greedy little mitts for over a week now, but what have we learned so far? Well let me tell you.
Gul’dan is a bit gullible
So every spec in the game gets its own unique artifact weapon, and for Destruction Warlocks, that weapon is the Scepter of Sargeras. Problem? It’s in the possession of Gul’dan. Oh dear.
It’s up to YOU to infiltrate his forces, sabotage them, nab the fancy stick and make off with it. AND IT WORKS. Eventually you come face-to-face with Gul’dan, and rather than turn you to dust on the spot (you’ve been a thorn in his side for a while now, of course, he KNOWS you and how you’ve foiled all his nefarious schemes), he does this:
He basically does the typical villain thing of “I INSTANTLY BELIEVE YOU!” and tells you and the Nightfallen next to you to fight over who gets to use the scepter while he buggers off to Argus through the portal behind him. He even tells you he might’ve helped that Nightfallen kill you but decided against it.
Yes, he regretted it, as you open a massive amount of portals, decimate his small army, steal his fancy stick and leave him shaking his fist in the wind. Silly Gul’dan.
Khadgar has been perfecting his ways to annoy you
Khadgar pls. Khadgar no why are you here, you CAN’T SIT WITH US.
There’s a crapton to do!
Once you hit level 110 and get Friendly rep with everybody, you unlock your World Quests and BOY OH BOY is there a lot to do! If you’ve been ignoring profession quests too (why?) then you have even more stuff, and honestly this looks like they’ve addressed the whole “there’s nothing to do at level 100!” perception of Warlords. There’s a TON to do! Go do it!
It’s not even “kill 10 badbads” quests either. There are fishing WQ’s, pet battle WQ’s, kill a superpowered boss WQ, even “craft this item then give it to someone” WQ’s! So much to do! So little time. Grind that rep! Grind that artifact power!
I do enjoy grinding, so to speak.
Vanessa VanCleef ain’t dead, yo!
As a lot of people thought/hoped, it turns out you never actually killed her in the Deadmines, or potentially ever even fought her, as you were afflicted with mind-altering poisons at the time! Hallucinations!
She pops up in the Rogue order hall, tries to kill you, fails, and ends up working for you. Happy days! Vanessa is a pretty damn awesome character and I’m glad she makes her triumphant return!
Hunters are even worse now
Barrage seems to be pulling everything ever. Through walls, probably through instance portals or something. It’s maddening, and a poorly-timed/positioned Barrage can end up causing you a lot of trouble. Have fun with that.
SuRrEnDeR tO mAdNeSs!
Priests are dying all the bloody time, and it’s because of this talent. It’s hugely powerful provided you have enough haste to sustain it, and the trouble is, at this stage of the expansion? Nah, that horrible death the tooltip advertises comes a lot sooner than you’d like.
YOUR SUFFERING FEEDS THE OLD GODS!
Guards are annoying
Flimsiest disguise ever.
I haven’t posted for a while and I need to get back into the swing of things. I like lists and I like talking about things that make me happy, so here’s my top 5 World of Warcraft abilities! These are in no particular order, and are purely aesthetic, because I’m shallow or something.
Storm, Earth, and Fire
Not only is this an awesome way of generating cleave damage (summon a clone of you to mirror your moves on a second/third target), it just LOOKS damn cool. Panda triplets attacking in perfect synchronicity, turning the chaos of a fight into a divine but deadly dance of death!
The ability is getting slightly simplified in Legion, turning it into a toggle rather than forcing you to switch targets to activate (or making a mouseover macro of course), so here’s to everyone being able to make use of it!
I will never NOT take this on my Priest.
I will pull everything by accident (if the Druid hasn’t already).
MY CIRCLE OF DARKNESS WILL ENSHROUD THE WORLD IN MADNESS AND DESPAIR
Shadow Priests lose this in Legion, but Holy and Discipline get to keep it!
SHIMMERING CIRCLES OF GOLDEN LIGHT!
Not only do I like spells that always hit for a critical strike (MAKES BIG NUMBERS), the spell looks and sounds like it straight-up HURTS. You’re hurling a glob of lava at your enemy and it makes a very satisfying BOOM when it hits the enemy.
Honourable mention also goes to the Shaman Mastery, Molten Earth. You can see it there to the left of Shamwhoa actually. Shards of rock rising from the ground and smashing into your enemies!
I like smashing. Speaking of…
Retribution Paladins have some weird obsession with smashing things with hammers. Retribution’s symbol is a hammer, the Paladin class symbol is a hammer, I’m of a mind to transmog Armageddon to a hammer if I’m honest.
A hammer made of pure divine light smashing into her foes? Final Verdict can stay!
Shame it appears to be getting changed in Legion to a passive buff to Templar’s Verdict. Sadface. They do get a talent that makes hammers spin around them though!
Oh come on, like this spell WASN’T going to feature.
Much like Lava Burst, there’s something very visceral about this ability. It just feels good to cast, and when it hits, it hits HARD. It looks fantastic too, especially when used with Havoc. Green fiery dragons of chaotic energy spewing forth from your hands? It doesn’t get better than that.
So, what are your favourite abilities? Which ones do you like the looks of most? Which abilities just FEEL good when you throw them out? Let me know!
“Or the Tale of How Demon Hunters Stole Our Shit”
Before 6.2 landed, Ion Hazzikostas was quoted as saying Demonology would get a bit of an overhaul in the new expansion, and in the meantime here’s nerfs to discourage you from using it in its current state! This was going to be a post where I speculate on what Demonology would become, but what’s this?
Icy Veins did an interview with Tom Chilton and Ion Hazzikostas which you can read here. There’s a lot of details in there, but juicy juicy gossip for Demonology Warlocks among us!
Demonology Warlocks will be masters of summoning and controlling demons. Metamorphosis sort-of came to dominate the class, but the devs are refocusing the spec on demons. Affliction will continue to be about ‘decay’, and Destruction about ‘bursts of fel fire’.
This was the direction I was going to go with this. Demonology becoming a summoner of demons, rather than becoming demons themselves. What do I think we’ll see?
- Metamorphosis cut: This is the obvious one, seeing as Metamorphosis is going to be the primary ability of Demon Hunters. This means we’ll be staying in caster form forever and ever.
- Corruption cut, Doom stays, usable in caster form: Doom already ties into the whole summoner philosophy, as critical strikes summon imps. I believe this will stay, and function as normal, and replace Corruption. Possibly make it tick a bit faster.
- Hellfire/Immolation Aura cut: These are an annoying part of Demonology AoE, as to use them you have to be in melee range of your target. Unfortunately, you still count as ranged, meaning you expose the melee classes to ranged mechanics (think Garrosh’s Desecrated Weapons, or Kilrogg’s Death Throes). I foresee these being cut, OR Hellfire staying, but rather than AoE centered on you, have it set a target on fire and pulse AoE damage.
- Cut Shadow Bolt, Soul Fire becomes filler, no more Molten Core: Bake Molten Core into the ability itself. Give it a chance to summon an imp on hit. Shadow Bolt gone because frankly it has a cast time comparable to Chaos Bolt, with damage comparable to 0.2 Chaos Bolts.
- Cut Chaos Wave, have Hand of Gul’dan on a 8 second cooldown with no charge system: That’s pretty self explanatory there.
- 2 permanent demons: They want us to be the masters of controlling demons? Then give us the ability to control 2 demons at once. Have a second splash menu, make you unable to summon two of the same demons. You can run around with a Voidlord AND a Fel Imp!
- Cut Grimoire of Service: At least for Demonology. Replace it with Grimoire of Something Else, and make it a cooldown that buffs all your demon damage by x% for 20 seconds. Like Dark Soul, but for your demons!
- Add Demon Summoning abilities: Have a new 10 minute cooldown IF you take Demonic Servitude where you can summon a Pit Lord or something as powerful. Have an ability on a 30 second cooldown that summons 2 random demons for 15 seconds. Those Felstalkers we saw in 6.2 would be cool. Maybe other demon models we can’t usually control too!
- Some form of AoE demon summoning ability: Have infernals rain from the sky briefly, or allow us to summon 3 Felguards/Wrathguards that do their bladestorm-like ability, then vanish.
Do bear in mind these are rough ideas. I’m no developer or theorycrafter, I have no idea how feasible these ideas are, but food for thought, eh? It’s merely one guy’s opinion, and I’d like to hear yours!