Blizzard have, depending on your view, compromised or caved in to the overwhelming voices of the playerbase and implemented a new achievement in 6.2 that awards a flying mount. In a later small patch, 6.2.whatever, Blizzard will enable those with this achievement, called Draenor Pathfinder, the ability to fly! Even in Tanaan!
What does this achievement comprise?
- Explore Draenor which itself is a meta-achievement, comprising of Explore Frostfire Ridge, Explore Gorgrond, Explore Spires of Arak, Explore Shadowmoon Valley, Explore Talador and Explore Nagrand. Easy enough to do, most of the work may well have been done via levelling.
- Collecting 100 treasures of Draenor. There’s an addon called Handy Notes which can help with this, by putting the locations of these treasures on your map! There’s an achievement for collecting 200 treasures of Draenor, you can use this achievement to track your progress to 100!
- Loremaster of Draenor, another meta-achievement, this one comprising of the achievements for completing zone storylines, namely Nagrandeur, Between Arak and a Hard Place, Don’t Let the Tala-door Hit You on the Way Out, Putting the Gore in Gorgrond, and either You’ll Get Caught Up in the… Frostfire! OR As I Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of Moon.
- Securing Draenor, which sees you complete all the Apexis daily quests. You don’t have to fully rely on luck here, as you can buy Scouting Missives in your garrison for 200 resources, and completing the Apexis daily through these counts towards the achievement. Sadly, you can’t purchase missives for the group quests, so you need to go to your table.
- Get your reputation to Revered (not even Exalted!) with 3 reputation groups, Saberstalkers, Order of the Awakened, Hand of the Prophet (if Alliance) or Vol’jin’s Headhunters (if Horde).
You gain rep through defeating elite mobs in an area of Tanaan Jungle called Fang’rila. Normal mobs reward 30 rep, and rare ones 600. There’s a weekly quest for 3,500 reputation, requiring you to defeat 3 bosses, and a daily quest for 1,000 reputation, which is a fetch quest. There’s also a garrison mission that rewards a 1000 rep item. This item (Medallion of the Legion) boosts reputation with ALL Draenor factions!
Order of the Awakened
As well as the aforementioned medallion, there’s a daily fetch quest for 1,500 reputation, as well as a one-time quest for another 1,500 rep. It’s a slower grind, requiring about 20-30 days, but the quest itself seems relatively quick if you’re lucky.
Hand of the Prophet/Vol’jin’s Headhunters
You get about 1,250 rep each day through 4 quests. 1 of these is a daily similar to the Apexis dailies in your garrison. You go to a table in Lion’s Watch/Vol’mar to pick 1 of the 2 quests.
The second quest is Pressing the Attack, where you have to complete 2 Tanaan bonus objectives. The third quest is a simple fetch quest, and the fourth, which isn’t guaranteed to be active, is a “kill 20/25 baddies” deal.
You also get reputation through the continuing Garrison Campaign, as well as building your base in Tanaan and an introductory exploration quest.
Lots to do! Luckily, for the non-rep achievements, you can make a start NOW! Get your ass out the garrison, and stop saying there’s nothing for you to do, ’cause now you have a GOAL! Something to WORK towards!