Well, isn’t that just the most spiffing piece of news you ever saw? Yes, after countless weeks of complaining, we may be getting Fel Flame back! We’ll have that totem crusher, that button to press when we’re moving and Conflagrate is on cooldown, that easy way of nuking a low HP target in old raids/dungeons! Speculation time! Reduced effectiveness could mean a number of things.
- Increase the mana cost. Frankly the mana cost prevents you from chain-casting the spell as it is. As Destruction you’ll get the mana back fairly quick, but with Affliction and Demonology, you’ll have to Life Tap, which can be rather dangerous if you’re not careful about it.
- Reduce the damage. Frankly, as long as we are outputting SOME damage when we move, instead of literally not pressing anything, then it’s a gain for us.
- Eliminate ember gain. Leaving the above two things as is, and preventing us from gaining embers looks to be the best solution. We have something to do when we move, but when we’re NOT moving, we will do our standard rotation, because if Fel Flame doesn’t give embers (or only does on critical strikes), then it’s not gonna push any spells out of our rotation.
- Give it a short cast time (that we can move during) or a cooldown to prevent spamspam.
- (idea courtesy of @Dobablo) Same damage as now (scaled appropriately for the stat squish of course!), but applies a debuff called Burnt Out, which reduces the damage of the next cast by 50%.
- Some profane combination of some/all these things.
While it remains to be seen what will happen (or if we even get it back at all), it’s always fun to speculate. We’re still waiting on updated patch notes too, as this batch will almost certainly contain our further pruning (of which we know at LEAST includes our curses and our instant demon resurrection abilities).
And it looks like they’ll be coming soon.