Hmm. Lots to cover here, but these are the smaller raids of Wrath of the Lich King, only containing a small number of bosses, as opposed to the great hulking behemoths of raids that are Ulduar and Icecrown Citadel.
The Eye of Eternity: MALYGOS
He’s voiced by the guy who does Liquid Snake! Anyway… It’s a relatively simple fight, so long as you know what you are doing. It’s split into a number of phases.
Phase 1: This is a simple tank and spank, but the key here is doing as much damage as possible. He starts transitioning into phase 2 at 50% health, but you can still damage him when he’s flying into the air and giving the blah-blah. Pop your Dark Soul at about 60% and fling Chaos Bolts into him, with any luck you can get him really low, but bear in mind he can’t be taken below 1hp. He has an attack that’s more annoying than deadly in this phase, where he sends you whirling up into the sky for a few seconds.
Phase 2: At this point, Liquid Malygos is untargetable, and he summons adds on flying discs to attack you. Kill them all. It’s easy.
Phase 3: Malygos will come back at this point and shatter the platform you’re standing on, but don’t worry, you land safely on a dragon! Your performance in the first phase will dictate how long this final part takes. Your dragon has a number of abilities, but only 3 are of any interest to you. You must follow this rotation while strafing and avoiding clouds of death:
Use an ability every 2 seconds or so, to ensure you don’t run out of energy. Eventually, Malygos will fall and you’ll get some spanky loot! Bear in mind that your dragon’s health scales up with your item level, so at higher gear levels you can take more punishment.
Notable Loot: Reins of the Azure Drake, Reins of the Blue Drake
- You Don’t Have An Eternity: Speed is of the essence here; you need to kill Malygos in under 6 minutes.
- Denyin’ The Scion: Kill one of the Scions of Eternity in phase 2 while riding one of those fancy hover discs.
- A Poke In The Eye: You’ll get this by virtue of soloing him; it requires you to kill Malygos with a group of fewer than 9/21 people, depending on the difficulty.
- The Spellweaver’s Downfall: Kill Malygos. Simple as that.
Vault of Archavon
Frankly, this instance is ludicrously easy. 3 bosses are incredibly simple tank & spanks, the fourth isn’t really tough so long as you have your Voidlord.
Archavon the Stone Watcher/Emalon the Storm Watcher/Koralon the Flame Watcher: Your voidlord will tank. You will spank. Ignore any adds that might get summoned, don’t stand in any crap on the ground. Loot.
Toravon the Ice Watcher: A slightly different kettle of fish here; though this is a tank and spank, there is something you need to be careful of. He applies a stacking DoT on whatever’s tanking him which can multiply to unhealable levels if the fight drags on too long. He also spawns adds that pulse out damage, but they are easily nuked if they annoy you. To be on the safe side with this boss, pop your cooldowns and nuke him hard. Soulstone yourself just to make sure!
Notable Loot: Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth (all four have a low chance to drop this mount).
- Archavon the Stone Watcher: Kill him.
- Emalon the Storm Watcher: Kill him.
- Koralon the Flame Watcher: Kill him.
- Toravon the Ice Watcher: Guess what? Kill him.
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Kill Archavon, Koralon and Emalon within 60 seconds of each-other. Clear the trash in the instance beforehand. Pull Koralon and Emalon, then run to Archavon, weakening the two on the way. Don’t engage Archavon just yet, but kill the other two at around the same time (Havoc is your friend!). Once they both drop, pop cooldowns and nuke Archavon. Honestly, I’d recommend Grimoire of Sacrifice for this as the bosses hit for very little. You don’t engage Archavon when killing the other two, as he may grab you and cause the other bosses to reset.
This place has only the one boss, but also sports three optional mini bosses. Honestly, Sartharion is an easy tank and spank, and the other dragons are similarly easy, though Shadron requires about 75k DPS to kill him before he summons a portal and becomes immune to attacks. With this in mind, we’re instead going to look at a particular achievement for this place, The Twilight Zone, which requires you to engage and kill Sartharion when all three drakes are still alive.
Clear the trash mobs around the place, but be careful not to pull the minibosses Shadron, Tenebron or Vesperon. Engage Sartharion, burst him. You need to kill him before Shadron engages you, else he’ll create a portal and make Sartharion immune to attacks. Trouble is, you go in the portal and the encounter resets.
When Tenebron comes down, have your demon tank him, and carry on nuking Sartharion. You need about 50k DPS to kill him before Shadron engages on 10 man, and about 120k on 25man.
Notable Loot: Title “of the Nightfall”, Reins of the Black Drake (The Twilight Zone (10 player)), title “Twilight Vanquisher”, Reins of the Twilight Drake (The Twilight Zone (25 player)), Dragon Hide Bag (22 slots!)
- Twilight Assist: Kill Sartharion with 1 drake minibosses active.
- Twilight Duo: Same as above but with 2.
- Twilight Zone: Outlined above! Kill Sarth with 3 bosses alive and well.
- Less is More: Kill Sartharion with less than 9 players on 10 man, or less than 21 players on 25 man.
- Gonna Go When The Volcano Blows: Don’t get hit by a lava strike. An easy way to do it is to stand in the lava the whole fight!
- Besting the Black Dragonflight: Kill Sartharion.
Trial of the Crusader
Relatively difficult. Consists of three encounters, the first being Gormok the Impaler. Relatively simple tank & spank, but the snobolds he throws are an annoyance as they interrupts non-instant spellcasting and stun you. They spawn for him to lob at you, kill them before he does so. If he manages to put one on you, I think you might have to get your minion to kill it. Make sure all snobolds are dead before the next bosses enter!
Acidmaw and Dreadscale are next. These are the hardest of the three! Kill Acidmaw first and as fast as possible, stand behind him, don’t stand in crap on the ground, as it’ll immobilize and stun you, which is a massive pain. Once he’s dead, Dreadscale is easy.
Icehowl is another tank & spank. If you get stunned with Arctic Breath, either wait it out, or use Unbound Will. EMFH also works if you’re a human!
JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!
Heh. Honestly it’s a simple fight. Destroy Nether Portals and Infernal Volcanoes as they spawn adds and this is annoying. If you’re geared enough, you can burn him down before he summons anything. Mistresses of Pain will spawn from the portals, any you need to blow them up asap. They interrupt your spells, and if you’re not tanking her, she’ll do Spinning Pain Spike, which deals 50% of your max hp as damage! Ouch!
Guess what? She’s not immune to Banish. Tank and spank Jaraxxus.
Difficult! Absolute first priority are the healers in the back. Try and interrupt them with Mortal Coil, Fear and Howl of Terror (the latter being particularly good as it sends EVERYONE running for cover). Pop cooldowns for this, and when one’s dead, focus the other healer. You’ll be left with 2 melee DPS and 2 ranged DPS, deal with them as you wish, but watch your health levels. Once the healers are down, the fight is a lot simpler.
They share a healthpool. Have both twins tanked by your voidy. Use the big black orb near you (Dark Essence) then focus all your fire on Fjola Lightbane. Honestly, a very simple fight.
When the fight starts, have your voidlord tank the boss and any adds. Destroy Frost Spheres, this’ll create patches of ice on the ground. You kill the adds on these patches, so they cannot dig underground and heal! Eventually Anub’arak will burrow himself, and you need to run away from spikes. Use your circles, gateways, and slow him down by leading him through ice patches. When he emerges, he’ll use Leeching Swarm, which drains 10% of your CURRENT health every second (NOT maximum health!), with a minimum of 250 damage being dealt. On Heroic? 20%. Burn burn burn as fast as you can!
Of course, if you’re geared enough, you can just nuke him and ignore any tactics, because he’ll be too dead to enter phases 2 and 3. Ho hum.
Notable Loot: No.
- Call of the Crusade: Kill all the bosses!
- Call of the Grand Crusade: Kill all the bosses… in heroic!
- Not One, But Two Jormungars: Kill Acidmaw and Dreadscale within 10 seconds of each-other.
- Resilience Will Fix It: Kill the faction champions within 60 seconds of the first one being killed.
- Salt and Pepper: Kill those pesky Val’kyr in under 3 minutes.
- The Traitor King: Wait until Anub’arak submerges. Kite the adds, he emerges. You should have enough Swarm Scarabs during the third submerge. Watch out for the Leeching Swarm damage! You need to kill 25 within 30 seconds of each-other. You can die afterwards if you like, it doesn’t require a boss kill. Generally a difficult achievement for non-tanks to do.
- Three Sixty Pain Spike: Kill Jaraxxus with 2 Mistresses of Pain alive. You have to wait around 2 minutes before he summons a second one.
- Upper Back Pain: Defeat Icehowl while 2+ Snobolds remain alive in 10 man, or 4+ in 25 man. Easy really, just don’t AoE.
So, this is a raid that exists. The minibosses are lame tank & spanks. Nukey nukey boom boom. So much so, I’m going to put a video of me nuking them here.
Baltharius the Warborn: He’ll stun you and split into two when he’s taken enough damage. Nuke.
Saviana Ragefire: Wait, she wasn’t a trash mob?
General Zarithrian: He fears sometimes. He does little else.
Halion: First phase is tank & spank. He summons a portal to the twilight realm. Second phase is tank and spank. Avoid crap like lasers and fire.
Phase three is a slightly different kettle of dragons, unless you’re well geared. Stay in the twilight realm (watch out for sparkly vampires!). You can pop cooldowns and attempt to damage him through his healing (easy enough), or you can wait for him to heal. His healing pushes him closer to the twilight realm, and when he’s fully in there with you, he deals double damage, but takes QUADRUPLE. Nuke nuke nuke as hard as you can!
Sometimes, AoE attacks somehow hit him in both realms, so use Rain of Fire a lot. Sometimes, self healing pushes him closer you as well. It’s frankly a stupid boss, and easy enough to solo. Avoid crap, as per usual.
Notable Loot: Hahahaha! No.
- The Twilight Destroyer: Kill Halion. Has 10 and 25 man versions, and heroic 10 and heroic 25 versions too., as well as a guild edition.
- No, that’s honestly it.
Well, that was fun, wasn’t it? Next guide will have Ulduar soloing, and how to do the achievements!
Here’s Raenah and Metasik staring down that pesky Lich King.